Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Canon Pixma MP160 Printer Encoder Strip Replacement

I had the unfortunate luck of my oldest son opening the top of my Canon Pixma MP160 scanner/printer, and in his curiosity, he decided it would be a good idea to rip out the encoder strip (the thin plastic ribbon that the printer head reads for timing).

Me, being me, I decided that I would take the whole printer apart and attempt to put the encoder strip back in. After opening the entire printer and ripping parts out (carefully taking notes and remembering where everything is suppose to go), I had printer guts all over my kitchen table. That was when I realized I had no idea where this thing is suppose to go.

Ah, I have the trusty internet! I run to Google, thinking I would discover where this part was suppose to go, reattach it, and be on my way... No such luck. First, I had no idea what the part name was, so I started searching for the printer first, then after no luck, I started searching repairs, broken plastic piece, where parts go, service manuals, images of the insides... nada. Then I took a closer look at the strip and discovered there were words printed on it (the name brand being Ruhlatec), and I had a few hits, but nothing that helped. I then discovered people were calling it the encoder strip or timing strip. Another hour on Google and I hit the jackpot... one singular image (and a crappy image at that) of a page from a Canon Pixma MP160 service manual. I was able to see exactly where the strip attaches, then realized I was missing a piece! The spring that holds the strip on the right side can and will fall off if the strip is not attached. I found the spring in my printer, put it on, attached the encoder strip, carefully put the pieces back together (I had no spare pieces! Hooray!) and I'll be damned, the thing actually worked!

So, in my attempt at making someone else's life easier, I am going to post a few pictures to let others that have had the same problem (and there were a lot) know where this encoder strip is suppose to go. Think of it as my public service for the day.. erm... year.

PLEASE NOTE: I do not recommend taking your printer apart unless you are sure you know what you are doing or have nothing to lose. You may end up doing more damage than you started with. I take no responsibility for what you do to your equipment.

The strip has an "L" on one side and a dot on the other. Be sure you put the "L" side on the left. There is a small slit behind the printer head that you must slide the encoder strip through before attaching. (sorry, I couldn't get a picture).

If this helped you, please leave me a comment.




17 comments:

  1. hi deer i have the same problem with my canin mp160 i have no spring like somthing wat i do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh! thankyou so much! i am a mum also and my son also ripped out the encoder strip. when i found a loose spring too i thought i was doomed to pay more for repairs than the printer cost. i still can not figure out how to attach it, but i now have hope that it can be done. good for you- your public service really helped me out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my god... all the moms have the same problem... my four year old did the same thing to my printer... the problem is that I don't know how to open the printer, I tried but I'm afraid I might break it or something...

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANK YOU FOR THIS. I'm pretty sure my mom would kill me if she found out I broke ANOTHER electronic device. I've tried fixing this for ~6 hours and your blog's the only one that mentioned the slit behind the cartridge carrier. It's working again now :) My roommates can now sleep in peace. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome, I had already figured out where the encoder strip went, but didn't realize that the spring was on the floor. Only after reading this and looking at your extremely helpful pics did I go looking for the spring to find it on the floor. Thanks for the time you took to post this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My 3 year-old daughter somehow took 2 different sized springs out. I appreciate any help on this task but it may have helped to photograph the printer with the springs on. My Canon MP 160 has two springs and I have no idea where they attach based on your photos. There's no hooks and I don't see how anyone can get to the springs without removing the sides of the printer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks - managed to fix mine cause of this :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great blog, but I don't think it's necessary to dissemble the whole printer. You'd be able to unscrew the two back screws on each back corner of the printer. Then jiggle the top cover off...it'll just be hanging out wobbly.

    Make sure the timing strip goes through the print head...not just behind it. THis is very important step.

    Check this link out for that:

    http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/uploads/6881_mp540_center.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for this post. Just so you know it worked for the MP 250 MFP I was given. Almost identical. Very very helpful considering there is almost nothing of help on the web about this device. I'm a good researcher and the mp250 is a vast waste land..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the post. The encoder ribbon came of of my MX340 and these instructions worked perfectly,

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks! I used this to fix a Canon PIXMA iP2600.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hello
    thank you for your very helpful Pictures.
    i make my mp150 pixma , & i solve it

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks a lot, I managed to fix my MP150 :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow thanks, eight years and your post is still helping people, great job.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My son just did this exact same thing yesterday. Thanks for the post! I will be repairing it today. Yes it's 2020 but the old thing was still working and I don't want to buy a new one.

    ReplyDelete